Jan 6, 2008

What I like about the mystery genre

I'm not as voracious a reader of mystery novels as I am science fiction or fantasy, unless you count cross genre mystery/fantasy or mystery sci fi. Consequentially, I'm not so up on trends in the genre.

I tend to go for classic styling - gumshoe detective type stuff. I like Rex Stout and Robert Parker. These are thinking mans detectives, but they're tough. At least Archie is tough. Nero Wolfe talks tough, an has an attitude. A smart person who's able to solve crimes and right wrongs is an important person for me to look to when wanting escapism.

There's also a sense of connection to and respect for some of the underworld in at least Parker's books. Spenser, the most used character, has a best friend who's a thug and a mercenary. It's the adherence to a code of ethics that bonds the two of them, along with shared work, and a love for one particular woman.

In a way, the books are like soap operas for thugs. Only there's a few characters who are by nature noble, an everyone else is probably corrupt and weak, or dishonorable, or both. They're usually set straight by the main characters in some violent way, or killed, or defeated.

Nero Wolfe, of course, is just a triumph of intellect over villainy. He rarely uses force, an when he does, it's by people in his employ. He's even more cultured than Spenser, but less self aware, and more egotistical. He's flawed, and Rex Stout makes clear the reader knows it.

I'm not sure why either of those series are so appealing, but they are. If there were well written books with technologically savy characters who're like Wolfe or Spenser, it might appeal to me more. Sadly, I don;t keep up with mystery as much, so I'd have to go on recommendations. If anyone has any, let me know.

2 comments:

gs said...

Glenn Dixon has written three Nero Wolfe stories that include contemporary technologies such as cell phones and computers. They are pretty good, in my opinion. You can download them for free from:

http://beaglewriter.com/dixon/

You have to read the three stories in order, and I should warn you that the second one isn't to everyone's taste, but hang on until you get to the third one. It's a real rip-roarer. In my opinion, anyway.

Josh Jasper said...

Thanks. I'll look into them.